The Workout Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Daniel View Post
    Weighed in today at 193. I've lost 40 lbs.
    That's awesome man

Comment

• Damn, counted calories these past few days. Didn't realize how much more I need to eat.
      sigpic

Comment

• I seriously gotta get back in shape. I was in amazing shape earlier in the year, crushing it in the gym 6 days a week. Then cold weather hit Kentucky it was zero degrees outside and it is hard to walk 1/4 mile to get to the gym in that weather. Quit. Bad habits. Bad eating. Sick of this ****.

So just wanted to post here to change my habits. Here's what I gotta do:

-Lift weights every day I can barring serious DOMS by starting over again which sucks. I love lifting just gotta get back in
        -Minimum walk 1 hour a day and start jogging when I can.
        -Drink at least 1 gallon water/day
        -No sugary/sweet foods or drinks
        -Seriously limit the carbs. Keto diet.
        -Start cooking food again
        -Diet high in vegetables and protein until I lose most of this excess bodyfat.

God I miss kicking ass in the gym everyday. Nothing more fun than feeling good, looking good, and knowing everyday you destroy the gym. Great feeling.

Back on it starting now!
        2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
          I've been adding cardio before workouts. Thinking of saving the heavy cardio for days for when I don't lift cause I feel like puking afterwards.

Also, my bicep workout basically looks like:

3x6 of 60 barbell curl.
          3x10 of 45 preacher curl
          3x15 of wrist curl

How can I improve it?
          For biceps I LOVED doing drop sets. Get a lot of blood in those muscles.

Back in the day I would do 10 reps of 70, then drop it down to 35 and do 10 more reps immediately after. Your biceps are shot and it is great.
          2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

• Then cold weather hit Kentucky it was zero degrees outside and it is hard to walk 1/4 mile to get to the gym in that weather. Quit.
            common you pussy

and it does not get that cold in kentucky, child please

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• Ughhh been having medial right knee pain for these past few weeks when i squat, and i have no idea why

I tried mashing my vastus medialis, and it helped at first, but now it does jack.

My squat form is ok. I tried changing feet angles but it didn't help much. Also tried exaggerating knees out but nah

Comment

• Have a nice subtle vein running down my calves. My prediction is by shorts weathers I'll have a decent calves game.
                sigpic

Comment

• http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/...apnm-2012-0176

Very interesting study.

TL;DR this study suggests that isolation work (bicep curls/ tricep pulldowns) has very little (i.e. statistically insignificant) benefit in terms of both strength and size.

Of course, the sample size was not that high (29 people), but the guy cited another study on baseball players that showed similar results.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                    http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/...apnm-2012-0176

Very interesting study.

TL;DR this study suggests that isolation work (bicep curls/ tricep pulldowns) has very little (i.e. statistically insignificant) benefit in terms of both strength and size.

Of course, the sample size was not that high (29 people), but the guy cited another study on baseball players that showed similar results.
                    Didn't read the study, but for what it's worth, here's some anecdotal evidence. I weighed 150~ throughout high-school and through 4 years of college, never dropping or gaining a pound. I went to the gym regularly, doing workouts I found on the internet. Most of the workouts are created by body-builders and do tons of Isolation, because at that point in their careers, isolation exercises are the best for their goals. If you are on the cover of magazines, or you have time to workout 2+ hours a day, 6 days a week, sure, do all of the isolation exercises you can.

My favorite exercise was always the benchpress. At that time, I considered myself pretty strong for my small stature, and plateaued at around 185 on the bench. (1 plate per side + a 25). Not only did my bench progress and chest size/strength grind to a halt, so did every other muscle group. I barely did any leg exercises, maybe a few hack squats and leg extensions.

A few years later, a friend of mine suggested 5x5 Stronglifts, as I always had trouble gaining mass. Compound exercises you say? What is this sorcery? I started squatting 3-4 times a week. I had a hard time putting up a plate. (135lbs, LOL). That program calls for progressive weight increases, 2.5 - 5 pounds per workout. I stuck to the 5 basic compound exercises - Squat, Bench, Shoulder Press, Barbell Rows and Deadlifts. No leg extension bull****. No biceps curls for hours. No triceps extensions. All compound lifts. Needless to say, I was skeptical.

Fast forward to the present (about 18 months.) I'm not here to brag, these are my actual numbers.

First of all, I'm up to about 175. Roughly 20 pounds gained in the year and a half, mostly muscle, some due to drinking metric ****tons of whole milk every day. (about half a gallon)

I'm squatting a little over three plates, around 325 Lbs.
                    I usually shoulder press around 115-125. I sometimes have pains in my right shoulder, so I don't go overboard.
                    I try to keep my row around 50 pounds lighter than my bench. I can comfortably row 185 with good form.
                    I'm working my way to deadlifting 4 plates, or 405 pounds. My record is currently 385.

And for me, the coup de grace - I am benching well over 2 plates, working my way to 250, currently hovering around 235.

And that's it. I don't do curls, but my arms are huge. I haven't done a crunch or a sit-up in over a year, yet I have a ripped six-pack. My gf says I have an 8 pack. Some of the guys have asked me if I'm on a cycle. Now I've moved on a bit from these 5 basic exercises, incorporating things like lunges, closed grip chin-ups, tricep extensions, and I do a bit of core work now, do a bit of running, etc... But what really jump-started my growth was compound exercises, essentially the squats.

Most of the routines you see on sites like bodybuilding.com are tailored for body-builders, not for average people. Go back to the basics, with real-life movements your body does naturally (squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses) and progressively add weight. Not only has it made me strong as an Ox and allowed me to crush my old plateaus, but the effects on mood and libido have been incredibly noticeable. I **** my woman every night as if I'm going to prison the next day, we've never been happier. I can't wait to hit the beach anymore, I usually feel like I'm the most jacked guy there.

supplements - I have a protein shake post-workout, that's it.
                    diet - I don't eat super healthy, but not that bad either. I don't drink beer or any alcohol, for that matter, unless it's a wedding or big occasion. I don't eat ANY fast-food either (not even subway) becuase I enjoy cooking, it's cheaper, and I like the food I make more than stuff you can buy. My weak spot is chocolate and sugary type stuff, no chips or soda, ever. Meat, potatoes, BBq stuff, fries, ****loads of chicken, pastas, bread, that kind of ****.

TL; DR - I replaced curls rows and pull-ups, and my arms got bigger. I replaced sit-ups and crunches with squats and deadlifts, and my core got ripped. Compound exercises for the average Joe, Isolation exercises for the dudes on the magazine covers. If you guys want me to go into detail about anything, let me know.

Comment

• I'mma go ahead and keep the six isolation exercises I do per week. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

But I dont understand acting like it is some revelation that compound motions work, lol
                      Originally posted by Daniel
                      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
                      lmao

Comment

• Good work mate, solid numbers

this definitely tells me my OHP is messed up

Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                        I'mma go ahead and keep the six isolation exercises I do per week. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

But I dont understand acting like it is some revelation that compound motions work, lol
                        I feel like isolations are good to stop you from getting bored/burnt.

Squatting/DLing heavy twice a week takes a toll after a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                          I'mma go ahead and keep the six isolation exercises I do per week. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

It was a HUGE revelation to me. Very counter-intuitive, if you ask me. Stop doing biceps curls, and then my biceps started bulging. I stopped doing the same old 'benchpress - >incline press -> decline press -> incline fly -> cable crossover' chest routine, replaced it with progressive weight increment bench + heavy posterior chain lifts, and I shattered a plateau I was at for YEARS.

I still see 80% of the idiots at the gym doing curls 2-3 times a week like buffoons and never seeing any gains, so I'mma go ahead and say that for most people, it would be a revelation if they just let go of the same old "exercise a different muscle group every day" routine that just doesn't work and gave olympic lifts a try.

Comment

• Strangely enough powerlifting has taken popularity this year at my school gym

Last year i was the only person deadlifting but now every time i go there's at least three deadlifting at once

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                              Strangely enough powerlifting has taken popularity this year at my school gym

Last year i was the only person deadlifting but now every time i go there's at least three deadlifting at once
                              It's the stupid crossfit fad and all the girls with great asses that post pictures of themselves doing squats in yoga pants.

Comment

• So what are good bicep workouts that aren't isolation stuff? Upper back workouts?
                                http://bloochat.com/walterfootball <------------- WF.CHAT HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X