The Workout Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cajunn View Post
    It's the stupid crossfit fad and all the girls with great asses that post pictures of themselves doing squats in yoga pants.
    Crossfit is ok in some boxes. I feel like it gets a little bit too much hate on the internet (though it's warranted)

Originally posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
    So what are good bicep workouts that aren't isolation stuff? Upper back workouts?
    Weighted pullups would be a good one

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• What about chin ups?
      http://bloochat.com/walterfootball <------------- WF.CHAT HERE

Comment

• Sure

Don't overthink/overcomplicate things. Just lift heavy and progress in strength, and you'll be fine.

Like I said, I usually only do 2 exercises during leg day and 4 during upper body day

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
          Sure

Don't overthink/overcomplicate things. Just lift heavy and progress in strength, and you'll be fine.

Like I said, I usually only do 2 exercises during leg day and 4 during upper body day
          You workout twice a week?

Comment

• Originally posted by Red-headed step-child View Post
            You workout twice a week?
            4x

ABxABxx

with basketball sprinkled in here and there

Comment

So what are good bicep workouts that aren't isolation stuff? Upper back workouts?
              Bent-over barbell rows
              pull-ups/chin-ups whatever you want to call them. Don't do them like crossfit people do (ex. with momentum from your legs) only use your back and biceps. use closed-grip (palms facing out when you grab the bar) add a weight belt+weights when you can do 12-15 slow, steady pull-ups. Try to keep your grip outside your shoulders, too. you'll widen your latissimus dorsi, and chicks dig that ****.
              Lat pulldowns
              Any kind of row, not only bent-over barbell, I just feel like that is the best one. (seated should work fine)

I think my entire huge post can be summed up by RoflDogs' comment here -
              Just lift heavy and progress in strength
              Lift heavy, even if you are compromising your form on the last few reps in the later sets of the workout. If you don't have good form on your first reps though, drop the weight. But if you are training to exhaustion (ex. on a deadlift), your back SHOULD start arcing becuase you start using it to lift the weight, thats frickin normal. Next time you do deadlifts, you might use a little less of your back, so on so forth. If you lift heavy your body has no choice but to build muscle to deal with it esp. if you have a diet high in lean protein.

People at the gym tell me I'm going to bust my knees squatting 300+ pounds but I've never felt so good in my knee joints. I play lots of tennis, hockey and flag football, I've had knee issues before. Now i rarely have discomfort. Dealt with some crazy DOMs in my quads when I first started, though.

Comment

• Don't compromise form on deadlift/squat/bench/any weighted compound lift, that's how you go to snap city.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                  Don't compromise form on deadlift/squat/bench/any weighted compound lift, that's how you go to snap city.
                  I would tend to agree, but only to a certain extent. If you are a beginner, yes, it would be better for you to lift 10 pounds with perfect form than 100 pounds with **** form. If you are intermediate-advanced, and you progressively add weight to your workouts, you will eventually compromise your form, mostly nearing the end of your reps/sets/workout. I'm not saying do you first deadlift with a rounded back. I'm saying on your third set of deadlifts, when you are dripping in sweat and trying to put up 3 plates, your back might arc a little, but as long as you are powering through with your posterior chain/hammies/pushing with your heels and not actively USING your back to lift the bar, it's not the end of the world

Comment

• Originally posted by Cajunn View Post
                    I would tend to agree, but only to a certain extent. If you are a beginner, yes, it would be better for you to lift 10 pounds with perfect form than 100 pounds with **** form. If you are intermediate-advanced, and you progressively add weight to your workouts, you will eventually compromise your form, mostly nearing the end of your reps/sets/workout. I'm not saying do you first deadlift with a rounded back. I'm saying on your third set of deadlifts, when you are dripping in sweat and trying to put up 3 plates, your back might arc a little, but as long as you are powering through with your posterior chain/hammies/pushing with your heels and not actively USING your back to lift the bar, it's not the end of the world
                    You're still an intermediate dude. It's not recommended that until you reach like 3/4/5+ that you can round your back (thoracic rounding. NEVER EVER lumbar round) Even then, there is a higher risk with pulling with this form compared to straight back. An analogy I heard that I really like is that it's like driving a car. Doing regular deadlifts might still cause the average Joe to become injured, but rounding your back is like driving recklessly/drunk. Are you 100% likely going to crash? No, but there is hell of a higher chance of getting into an accident than you would being a safe driver.

So unless you're actually competing in powerlifting competitions or something of the sort, then it's generally recommended that you stick to close to as strict form as possible.

Comment

• We'll have to agree to disagree. I could never have reached the levels that I have reached without compromising my form on the first few attempts. No regular joe is going to deep-squat 300 pounds with his ass 5 inches from the ground on the first try. But after a dozen workouts, you'll be squatting 300 pounds the same way you squat 100 pounds. Those first few attempts = compromised form. I'm not saying go balls-deep and lift with your tip-toes, I'm just saying you might not go down as low as you should, or you might not drop your bench barbell as low as you should, but given time and practice, you will.

Comment

• Guess who cleared 3x6 of 170 on the bench?

Next week 175. That weak really helped me out big time. I feel my stability has especially improved.

Comment

Guess who cleared 3x6 of 170 on the bench?

Next week 175. That weak really helped me out big time. I feel my stability has especially improved.
                          Awesome to hear! Keep at it!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Lenny View Post
                            Awesome to hear! Keep at it!
                            Thanks, but don't tell me what to do.

Comment

Thanks, but don't tell me what to do.
                              Don't tell me what to do.
                              sigpic

Comment

• I hate my bench

It just refuses to improve

Comment

Working...
                                X