The Workout Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
    Despite Rofl's protests, if you've got the will to be strict, try the keto diet. It doesn't work for everyone, but give it a week and see if you like the results. I've known a few people, my wife included, who it works great for and they shed fat like crazy. I have heard of some people who it just doesn't work for and they tend to stay in the keto flu (usually a few day period where you don't feel like you have any energy) for the whole time they're on it. Most people only get it for the first three or four days and then they feel like they have more energy than they did before. When you cut out the carbs completely, it's much easier to stay under your calorie totals for the day.
    Using the IIFYM calculator, my macros came out to

Carbs: 30 g
    Protein: 180 g
    Fats: 172 g

Hey I'll try it if I can. If I can stick to this for an entire month I know I can shed 10 pounds of fat. Then just go back to regular macros ... but can't do this for eternity.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
      Using the IIFYM calculator, my macros came out to

Carbs: 30 g
      Protein: 180 g
      Fats: 172 g

Hey I'll try it if I can. If I can stick to this for an entire month I know I can shed 10 pounds of fat. Then just go back to regular macros ... but can't do this for eternity.
      That's what my wife does. She'll do it for a month or two, and then go back to allowing herself carbs.

Comment

• lol have fun feeling like death

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• Tinbon asked me for a workout plan, so I thought mine as well share it with the rest of the forum.

This is a noob workout plan btw

Originally posted by RoflDogs
          Two workouts: Lower body, upper body

Lower:
          Squats 3x6
          Deadlifts 2x6
          Accessories if you want (leg extension, curls, calf raises, what have you): 3x10. Not really necessary
          2 Abs exercises (Hanging leg raises if you can, ab wheel, weighted crunches with like a 5 pound weight behind your head, planks, etc) 3x10 or 3x1 minute if you're doing planks

Squats and deadlift you have to really get the form down and everything. And you might not be mobile/flexible enough to do these movements from being too sedentary. If this applies to you, then do either Agile 8 or Limber 11 to get flexible enough to do these movements.

Film yourself if possible and send me them, so I can check your form.

Start off at a really light weight that you can do 6 reps relatively easy (not SUPER easy, but with 3-4 reps in the tank). Your warmup should be 30% of working set weight x 5 reps, 50%x5, 70%x3, 80%x2, 90%x1. So for example, if you're going to do a workout of 200 pounds for 6 reps. Then your warmup should be 60x5, 100x5, 140x3, 160x2, 180x1.

Every workout add 5 pounds to your squat and deadlift. If you do 200x6, then your next workout, it's 205x6, then 210x6, etc etc.

The higher rep optional exercises should not be too difficult. Less intensity than squat or deadlift

Upper:
          Bench 3x6
          Back exercise #1 3x6
          Overhand Press 3x6
          Back exercise #2 3x10
          OPTIONAL
          Bicep Curls 3x10
          Tricep extensions 3x8
          Barbell Shrugs 3x8

Bench form and OHP form (#1 and #2).

Bench and OHP are going to be your main exercises. Start decently light like the squad and DL, but in all the exercises add 5 pounds each workout.

Back exercises do 2 of: dumbbell row, weighted pull ups (or lat pulldown if you can't do pull ups), T bar row, Bent over row, cable horizontal row. Try to really retract the shoulders for the rows. Add 5 pounds (or 10 for the machine ones) for these every other workout.

Again, with the optional ones, you don't have to do them. If you do, they shouldn't be too difficult, but still try to bump up the weight every few sessions if you do do them.

Your schedule could be looking like: LUxLUxx or LxUxLxU, but preferably the first one.

Ask me if you have any questions

Comment

• lol
            Originally posted by Daniel
            Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
            lmao

Comment

• Made a new friend who is also into lifting weights. He wants to become an IFBB pro. He's freaking ripped. Anyway, we did a legs workout today...my glutes felt like jello halfway through. 10 sets of squats, 5 sets of walking lunges, 4 sets glute kickbacks, 5 sets hamstring curls, 4 sets romanian deadlifts, 5 sets leg presses. Freaking insane. My legs are going to be insanely sore on Wednesday, but the good thing is I'm forcing progress. Legs are by far my biggest weak point (not even close) so happy I am upping the intensity on my workout routine.

Chest/tris up next tomorrow working out with him again and his buddy who is swole as hell. I figure what the hell, why not push myself even though this is a very advanced workout.
              Last edited by Matt McGuire; 03-02-2015, 09:08 PM.
              2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

• Hit the weight room for the first time in months today

Weighed in at a slick 315, which at this point means I have lost a ton of muscle mass not that I've actually been losing weight. I've done a horrible job of taking care of myself and am unbelievably weak right now.

Like, 100 pounds on tricep pulldowns was pretty hard, and the most I could do for a set of 10 isolation curls was 30 pounds

Pretty disgusted with myself, but it's motivation going forward. I'm not going to take classes next term, and the gym is right next to my new job. I think I'm going to have to start doing ab workouts and lifting.
                JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?

Comment

• Hope everyone is doing well! I'm down to 230 pounds at 6 feet tall. At my heaviest I was 355 pounds. Got a little extra skin going on but im a lot stronger and definitely more fit then I was. Some of you guys who are friends with me on facebook has seen my results. Best thing I did was stop drinking sodas. Also don't drink a **** ton of alcahol(which I started doing when I was single and going out every weekend). Water and protein is huge.

Comment

• Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
                    Hope everyone is doing well! I'm down to 230 pounds at 6 feet tall. At my heaviest I was 355 pounds. Got a little extra skin going on but im a lot stronger and definitely more fit then I was. Some of you guys who are friends with me on facebook has seen my results. Best thing I did was stop drinking sodas. Also don't drink a **** ton of alcahol(which I started doing when I was single and going out every weekend). Water and protein is huge.
                    Holy hell Eli, that's rad! Congrats to you. Keep up the solid work.

Comment

• Originally posted by EllijayFalconsFan View Post
                      Hope everyone is doing well! I'm down to 230 pounds at 6 feet tall. At my heaviest I was 355 pounds. Got a little extra skin going on but im a lot stronger and definitely more fit then I was. Some of you guys who are friends with me on facebook has seen my results. Best thing I did was stop drinking sodas. Also don't drink a **** ton of alcahol(which I started doing when I was single and going out every weekend). Water and protein is huge.
                      Awesome man. That's great to hear that you are doing so well
                      JUST WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?

Comment

• Swag/Alastair

What's the deal with peptides?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lukic View Post
                          Swag/Alastair

What's the deal with peptides?
                          I'm guessing since you're talking in the workout thread, you're talking about peptides by the name of the illegal doping compound. In this case, the peptide is something that stimulates your adrenal gland to secrete more aldosterone. Personally, when it comes to body stuff like this, I would recommend against messing with your own glands.

Comment

• Yeah stay natty4life

Comment

• Just bumping this thread to mention some psychology in weightlifting. Now that I'm working in an outpatient facility with a full gym, I've started lifting again and it feels great (free gym and no travel excuses!). That being said, I've found one of the hardest things during my lifting plan has been to be honest with myself about the quality of my lifts. For example, if I'm performing a barbell row, if I don't bring the weight all the way up and touch my chest, it doesn't count. When I get the bar within a half inch, it's really tempting to say that it's enough, but it really isn't. Same thing with other lifts, such as squats or overhead press. If my form isn't perfect, or I push out of my squat before I got low enough, I'm not counting the rep. If I fail a rep, I have to repeat the same weight the next day I attempt the exercise. From working in this clinic, and seeing how many lumbar injury patients we get, it's become even more important to me to be strict. I also have seen these same psychological effects in my patients. Sometimes I'll see a patient for the first time after they've been seen by other therapists for a few weeks and I'll notice that no matter how much I cue them, they can't maintain form, so I downgrade the exercise by lowering weight or removing part of the movement to make it easier and able to be done with excellent form. Some of these patients are visibly flustered and agitated, despite agreeing with me that their form is off. I think it's really tough to be realistic when we're a statistics and results based society and moving from performing an exercise with a 25# dumbbell and being told to downgrade to 15# can be very disheartening. I think, particularly those of us who are doing this for recreational or personal reasons, we really want to be able to talk about how we can lift a certain amount, like a 225 lb bench or a 300 lb squat, but if it can't be done flawlessly, it doesn't count.

I recently watched a local northwest guy, Chris Duffin, from Portland attempt to break a world record for how many squats he could rep in under a minute at 500 lbs. I don't remember the exact count, but I'm pretty sure he officially got 19, but looked to have achieved 22. Three of them didn't count because he was literally just a half inch to an inch too high when he began to rise. It goes to show that you have to be perfect with your reps to really say that you lifted them. Don't let yourself get into a trap of losing form to post bigger numbers. Even slight deficiencies in form can cause bad damage, particularly if allowed to continue to progress weight or continue poor repetitions.

Comment

• You have to lose a lot of ego when you work out

I noticed that i was missing a bench cue recently (no upper back tightness and bad scapular retraction), so i had to lower the weight by about 20 pounds and have been working on just form sets. 5x5s at prolly around 65%, which is pretty light

Comment

Working...
                                X