The Workout Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
    PTs generally ignore cracking and popping unless it is painful and/or it always happens in exactly the same place (e.g. you straighten your knee and when you pass from 10 degrees to 9, it snaps every time). If the cracking and popping are just there, we usually ignore it, but if it bugs you a chiropractor can certainly check it out. Standing tall and getting in the habit of holding your body there adjusts your body's resting musculature to that position so it becomes easier and easier to hold. It also slowly strengthens the muscles that hold you there because you aren't relying on your bones and ligaments to hold you up (this is why you shouldn't stand with your knees locked).
    I knew about the muscle flexing bit, I constantly do that with my abs while I am sitting or driving or whatever so that I get the most out of my time spent awake lol, but I didn't know about the standing tall, bit (I sometimes hang from my pull-up bar for a few minutes at a time), but I'll try that straightening thing.

PT ignore mine cracking problems? What da hell mayne.
    Originally posted by Daniel
    Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
    lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
      PT ignore mine cracking problems? What da hell mayne.
      If it's not hampering your function and it's not painful, what're you complaining about? I had a nasty separation of my shoulder seven years ago and it makes all sorts of clicks and pops when I move it around. I can still throw a football better than most of my friends and it doesn't hurt me, so it's nothing to worry about. Soft tissue heals in weird ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
        If it's not hampering your function and it's not painful, what're you complaining about? I had a nasty separation of my shoulder seven years ago and it makes all sorts of clicks and pops when I move it around. I can still throw a football better than most of my friends and it doesn't hurt me, so it's nothing to worry about. Soft tissue heals in weird ways.
        It's not painful in my back, but sometimes it causes such an intense, throbbing pain in my neck that I have to take prescription-level painkillers.

It hasn't hampered my function though, still it can't be good that every time I stretch my back I get a series of 5-12 pops lol
        Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
        lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
          It's not painful in my back, but sometimes it causes such an intense, throbbing pain in my neck that I have to take prescription-level painkillers.

It hasn't hampered my function though, still it can't be good that every time I stretch my back I get a series of 5-12 pops lol
          If it leads to pain in your neck, then it's definitely something in our scope of practice. I would try to get checked out if you can. I don't know how things are in your state, but you can't see a PT in Washington without getting a family doc prescription, unless you are rich enough to not need insurance coverage.

Comment

• WAY too many people at the gym. Too many new years resolutions. Worst time of the year
            2013 BDL and 2014 CMD Champion

Comment

• What are good shoes to get for the gym?

Just cause right now the only sneaker type shoes i have are for field turf, I'm not sure if I want running shoes or what. Thoughts?
              Last edited by PaddyPatriot; 01-24-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Starting the OP... I am really tired after my dual workout today, so I probably won't finish it, but I'll start to finish it and likely finish it tomorrow.

Originally posted by PaddyPatriot View Post
                What are good shoes to get for the gym?

Just cause right now the only sneaker type shoes i have are for field turf, I'm not sure if I want running shoes or what. Thoughts?

Not necessarily this specific brand or anything, but I tend to greatly favor shoes that are made of the type of material that allow for air flow through so that my feet don't heat up and they serve multiple purposes - they can be running and lifting sneakers.

Lifting doesn't really put wear-and-tear on your sneakers, but running on treadmills does - if you plan on doing that, I would recommend something with a little more cushioning / support and a smooth front underside - I've noticed that my sneakers with gripping patterns (lack of a better phrase) tend to peal after a few months of running, but it comes down to preference really.

That's how you sound.
                lmao

Comment

• Asics >>>

I've got my first pair in 8th grade for running, and I haven't looked back

Oh, and Swag, I'm having a hard time choosing the right weight. Like it's either I pick a weight and can do like 20+ reps on it, or I pick one where I can't do more than 7.

What should I do mayne?

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                    Oh, and Swag, I'm having a hard time choosing the right weight. Like it's either I pick a weight and can do like 20+ reps on it, or I pick one where I can't do more than 7.

What should I do mayne?
                    Test it by doing one rep then guestimate how many you think you could do. Try writing down what weight you got like 7 at and drop down the weight. I keep a journal of my numbers so I don't have to guess on weights - this is really the only fool-proof method I have.

Other than that, it's just the guess-and-check method.

Also, it's not the worst thing in the world if you mix it up like that - getting 7 reps with a high weight on an exercise followed by a ton of reps with a lower weight is actually a pretty killer strategy.

That's how you sound.
                    lmao

Comment

• Hey SwAg, since you've tried Assault and Drive, two of the three pre-workout supplements I've used more than once, I was wondering if you (or anyone really) have had any experience with the third: Omega Sports' Ultima. I gather that it's not for everybody, but when I'm looking for something when I'm taking a break from stims I like the clean energy and focus it provides (for me at least). I've never used it for more than a few weeks at a time but it seems to make those breaks more bearable for me. Kinda spendy though. Also haven't tried the new supposedly better tasting formula (although I just finished my tub so I will likely order one and try it in the future) but the older formula I had isn't the best as far as taste goes. Got used to it after a couple days and that was that.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaddyPatriot View Post
                        What are good shoes to get for the gym?

I just use cheap running shoes. Works well enough for me. Incidentally, I had to sprint about 1/3 a mile today in dress shoes because I showed up and the wrong courthouse and was about to be late for my client's hearing once I realized my mistake. My feet are in agony. And of course, my client was late anyway.

Comment

• Swag... Supplements for the ladies? Obivously my girlfriend doesn't want to up her testosterone (and I'm not big on that idea either), but are there any supplements you would recommend for a girl who wants to shed fat and build lean muscle. Pre-workout, protein shake, etc. Recommendations?

Comment

• I do not recommend supplements for women.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                              Asics >>>

I've got my first pair in 8th grade for running, and I haven't looked back
                              That was what I was thinking about, I hate the look of them but i guess i shouldn't care

Comment

• Swaaaaaaaaaag ? Recommend me my stuff ! I need to order.

Comment

Working...
                                X