The Workout Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
    Sorry for the huge delay, this is my busiest time of year where I try to get a couple weeks ahead in all of my classes so that the workload never gets overwhelming.

I am a big fan of supersets for whole ab workouts.

This what my ab workout looks like:

Rope Crunch -- 3 sets to fatigue; about 30-40 seconds of rest between each set

Bench Crunch -- 3 sets to fatigue, or 40 (whichever come first); 30-40 seconds of rest between each set

*Superset*

Side Bends -- 3 sets to fatigue, weighted so that you get 20 or more; 15-20 seconds of rest before doing...

Lying Side Bends... I am going to have to explain this one because what it is called up here is "Squishy" but I don't think that's a universal term for the exercise.

You lie on your back with your knees bent and in the air, your arms are extended to your sides. You alternate trying to touch your heels with your hands on each side, for a more advanced version of this, bring your upper back / torso off the ground like you're doing a half-crunch and do the side extensions...

^ I just go until fatigue on each one of them, your numbers will most likely drop off significantly between your first and your second set of it.

After you complete 1 cycle of these, take like 45ish seconds rest, then go twice more.

*Superset*

Leg Raise / Side Knee Raise on a Tower

Leg Raises -- 3 sets until fatigued on each; like 30 seconds rest before you do knee raises.

Knee Raises, it's more of a side crunch on the tower, being on the tower it doesn't let you cheat as much as the ground... You brace your left side again the tower while holding on, keep your feet together, bend your knees slightly, and try to bring them to your side (you won't be able to, but it's the motion). Then you switch to do it for your right side.

I do it like this:

Leg Raise
    Knee Raise
    Leg Raise
    Knee Raise
    Leg Raise

Because in actuality, you're doing 2 sets of knee raises each time you do one set of them, one for each side, which will fatigue your midsection a lot.

Russian Twist -- 1 set, to fatigue. Add weight if you want to add difficulty.

Hip Flexor Leg Raises -- 3 sets for each side, to 25 or fatigue. 30-45 seconds rest

Lying Leg Raises -- 3 sets to fatigue. 30-45 seconds rest

Plank Complex -- Left, Right, Front; go as long as you can on your left and right, then try to double that time on your front after a brief 2-3 minute break.
    I do most of these. Thanks

Don't do what I do and call yourself a pussy and go back to the gym while I'm hurt.
    Wait until your my age (44). I have to continually tell myself to be cool and not over do it.

Comment

• Started a ridiculous regiment of supplements less than a week ago, definitely my most expensive endeavor thus far.

So far, the strength gains have been ridiculous.
      Originally posted by Daniel
      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
      lmao

Comment

• Started running recently. Fucking terrible stuff.

Comment

Started a ridiculous regiment of supplements less than a week ago, definitely my most expensive endeavor thus far.

So far, the strength gains have been ridiculous.
          That quickly? Thats awesome.

Comment

• Yeah, it's been crazy. More reps with higher weight on the first week. It's probably one of my best endeavors since I splurged on Applied Nutriceutical products a year ago.

I've indulged on Cellucor for 2 of my 6 supplements, and while it's more expensive than most will deal with, it's been the best I've ever had. Wish Cellucor did all types of supplements because they do an awesome job.

Cellucor C4 Extreme for pre-workout. Cellucor P6 for a testosterone booster, it's about 3x of what Free Test is and just came out this year -- unfortunately, it's in the process of being banned from national competitions.

Then I have my normal supplements: vitapaks with the increased creatine synthesis formula, creatine, protein, and mass-adder.

Whenever I type that, I feel like "damn, I'm on a lot" then I go "**** it, whatever"
            Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
            lmao

Comment

Yeah, it's been crazy. More reps with higher weight on the first week. It's probably one of my best endeavors since I splurged on Applied Nutriceutical products a year ago.

I've indulged on Cellucor for 2 of my 6 supplements, and while it's more expensive than most will deal with, it's been the best I've ever had. Wish Cellucor did all types of supplements because they do an awesome job.

Cellucor C4 Extreme for pre-workout. Cellucor P6 for a testosterone booster, it's about 3x of what Free Test is and just came out this year -- unfortunately, it's in the process of being banned from national competitions.

Then I have my normal supplements: vitapaks with the increased creatine synthesis formula, creatine, protein, and mass-adder.

Whenever I type that, I feel like "damn, I'm on a lot" then I go "**** it, whatever"
              Why?
              Lord Commander of Walter's Kingsguard
              The Frogfather - I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat
              THE WALTAHOLICS - "I'm kind of a maverick and just don't give a shoot."
              THE ANDREA McNULTY GANGBANG - "You come at the king, you best not miss."

There are no men like me. There's only me.

I may be a woman beater, but I ain't no pussy eater.

Sweeter than a jumper on a gay Ray Allen.

NFC East Champion New York Football Giants

Comment

• I guess I don't really have an answer to that >.>

My normal answer is wanting to get stronger and whatnot, but most people counter with "You don't need all that to get stronger" so... I'll just skip it and say "It makes it easier"

That's how you sound.
                lmao

Comment

• Finally got back to working out after a week of being sick. And man did it feel good.
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess I don't really have an answer to that >.>

My normal answer is wanting to get stronger and whatnot, but most people counter with "You don't need all that to get stronger" so... I'll just skip it and say "It makes it easier"
                    Haha no worries. I just never got the supplements/insane nutrition/steroid thing, but to each his own. I mean I have hobbies that I'm sure people see as pointless.

I'm all for being fit and workout a ton, but as long as I'm healthy and catnip for the ladies I don't see the point of going overboard.
                    Lord Commander of Walter's Kingsguard
                    The Frogfather - I'm young, I'm handsome, I'm fast, I'm pretty and can't possibly be beat
                    THE WALTAHOLICS - "I'm kind of a maverick and just don't give a shoot."
                    THE ANDREA McNULTY GANGBANG - "You come at the king, you best not miss."

There are no men like me. There's only me.

I may be a woman beater, but I ain't no pussy eater.

Sweeter than a jumper on a gay Ray Allen.

NFC East Champion New York Football Giants

Comment

• Originally posted by McNulty View Post
                      Haha no worries. I just never got the supplements/insane nutrition/steroid thing, but to each his own. I mean I have hobbies that I'm sure people see as pointless.

I'm all for being fit and workout a ton, but as long as I'm healthy and catnip for the ladies I don't see the point of going overboard.
                      Compensating for peepee size prolly.

Comment

• Originally posted by McNulty View Post

It's really not something any normal person will understand, in order to understand you have to be like that also and probably bordering the realms of sanity.

Having been at the opposite end of the spectrum for a couple years probably also had something to do with my obsessiveness with it.

That's how you sound.
                        lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by Chg91 View Post
                          Compensating for peepee size prolly.
                          As if you don't know.

That's how you sound.
                          lmao

Comment

• Alastair, how do you correct posture lol -- I think this is something we've touched on before, but I'm not sure if that was here or not >.>

Very general question, but my spine seems out of whack and seems to be pulling my hips and lower back out, instead of forward.

That's how you sound.
                            lmao

Comment

Alastair, how do you correct posture lol -- I think this is something we've touched on before, but I'm not sure if that was here or not >.>

Very general question, but my spine seems out of whack and seems to be pulling my hips and lower back out, instead of forward.
                              It sounds like what you're describing is what we call "lordotic" posture. This is when the front of the pelvis rotates downward and sticks the butt out. You can see it in the following diagram:

Most of the time, when someone has lumbar lordosis, it won't be as bad as that. It's usually caused in most people by abdominal weakness. Most people let their abs atrophy quite a bit, because we don't really use them when we're sitting on a couch or at a desk. Since the glutes are constantly worked out by walking and other movements, they tend to dominate the abs and pull the pelvis back. In your case, Swag, I doubt ab weakness has anything to do with it. My guess for you is probably hip flexor tightness. This is another side effect of sitting down a bunch and the hip flexors tend to shorten and pull the front of the pelvis down towards the femur. We test for this in physical therapy with the Kendall hip flexor test. To perform the test, sit on a firm mat with your legs out straight in front of you (not hanging off the edge). Pull one of your knees up to your chest as tightly as you can and hold it with your hands in that position. Now, while keeping your one knee at your chest, lay down flat. If your extended knee that's on the mat rises and comes off the mat, you have shortened hip flexors. An extreme positive result looks like this:

You probably won't be that bad, but if your knee comes up at all, it's very likely that they're too tight. Unfortunately, there's no quick fix for tight hip flexors other than starting a stretching regimen. The most effective stretch is to put one foot out in front of you flat on the ground. Extend the other leg behind you with the top of your foot on the ground. Next, slowly push your pelvis towards your front foot while arching your back, like this lady:

One important thing to note is to keep the back leg fairly straight. You're trying to stretch the iliopsoas (a complex of two muscles that only travel from the pelvis to the femur). If you bend your knee too much, you'll end up stretching the rectus femoris (one of the quadriceps) that travels from below the knee all the way up to the pelvis. Although this muscle assists with hip flexion, it's not the one that's causing the tightness. If you feel the stretch too low, like the center of your leg, your back knee is probably too bent. You should feel the stretch just in front of your pelvis at the top of your leg.

Although I'm sure Swag knows this, I'll throw in a few stretching tips for rookies:

-Never bounce a stretch, you'll lose effectiveness due to the stretch reflex kicking in and guarding the muscle. The stretch reflex is what makes your leg kick when the doc hits the hammer under your knee. It's the sudden stretch on the tendon that causes the guarding reaction of a contraction and creates the kick. Bouncing in a stretch has a similar effect.

-Stretching should never hurt. If you're in the pain range from your stretch, you're overdoing it and causing damage. Back off the stretch until it's tight, but not too uncomfortable.

-For best results, hold a stretch anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Any shorter than 30 seconds and you're not really getting any stretch effect. Any longer than 2 minutes and you stop gaining additional effect. You can stretch as many times as you want in a day, but you probably won't get much more effect than doing it twice in the morning and twice in the evening.

-Finally, try to avoid postures and positions that allow the muscle to shrink. Hip flexors are at their shortest at the bottom of a squat or while seated in a chair. If possible limit the amount of time you spend sitting down. Hope all of this helps.

Comment

• Thanks Alastair, I'll do those stretches after every workout and hopefully that will work for me. As you said, I don't think mine is as extreme as that picture, but I'm going to try to rectify it before it gets to that point.

It might actually be the first part too, my abs aren't weak but the only body parts I do twice per week is legs and abs. And it's a lot easier to push legs really hard than it is abs.

I don't stretch much as is, so I should probably find some yoga positions to try in addition to the one you gave. Any recommendations for other stretches? I haven't stretched in like 4 years lol

That's how you sound.
                                lmao

Comment

Working...
                                X