• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lenruk View Post
    Is your name Alastair?
    Duh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alastair View Post
      Duh.
      I don't even care if your lying. Just so know whenever I see you post I imagine you wearing a top hat and monocle. Also thanks doctor alastair.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Lenruk View Post
        I don't even care if your lying. Just so know whenever I see you post I imagine you wearing a top hat and monocle. Also thanks doctor alastair.
        It's my actual name. I was born in England, so it's not so strange of a name over there. Also, my family is much more of a blue collar background than a top hat and monocle.

Comment

It's my actual name. I was born in England, so it's not so strange of a name over there. Also, my family is much more of a blue collar background than a top hat and monocle.
          Everything I know is a lie!
          Last edited by Lenny; 12-28-2012, 09:36 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Keep in mind that max heart rate is different from person to person. If you get me around 170 bpm, I'll be extremely close to passing out. My max heart rate is in the mid 170s. I usually have my training range in the 130s. The cheap way of calculating max heart rate is to subtract your age from 220, but it's a fairly flawed system. I've read about pro athletes of the same age ranging well over 40bpm for max heart rate. The best thing to do is find out what your max rate is, and then work from there. For cardio maintenance, working around 65-70% of max is fine. If you're really trying to increase your cardio and beat yourself up, shoot for 80%.
            Do you know if there are any serious health risks associated with going above that range?

Comment

• Originally posted by Clovdyx View Post
              Do you know if there are any serious health risks associated with going above that range?
              If you have a history any family history of heart trouble, high cholesterol, stroke, etc., you may want to consult your doc before doing anything ultra strenuous. For most people of our age range and athleticism, you're biggest risk is throwing up on yourself and passing out. In reality, 80% of max HR is going to floor anyone. You can strive to go higher, and you'll need to in order to check what your max is, but it's unrealistic to assume that you'll be able to train at levels over 80%.

Comment

If you have a history any family history of heart trouble, high cholesterol, stroke, etc., you may want to consult your doc before doing anything ultra strenuous. For most people of our age range and athleticism, you're biggest risk is throwing up on yourself and passing out. In reality, 80% of max HR is going to floor anyone. You can strive to go higher, and you'll need to in order to check what your max is, but it's unrealistic to assume that you'll be able to train at levels over 80%.
                How do I go about finding what my max HR is? Based on the 220 - age scale (which I learned a long time ago isn't perfect, but it gives me something to go off of), my max would be 196 and 80% would be 156.8. I use an exercise bike somewhat frequently and use the built in heart rate monitor and have gotten up to about 190 when I going as fast as I could peddle, assuming the sensor gives an accurate reading. 170 is about normal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clovdyx View Post
                  How do I go about finding what my max HR is? Based on the 220 - age scale (which I learned a long time ago isn't perfect, but it gives me something to go off of), my max would be 196 and 80% would be 156.8. I use an exercise bike somewhat frequently and use the built in heart rate monitor and have gotten up to about 190 when I going as fast as I could peddle, assuming the sensor gives an accurate reading. 170 is about normal.
                  Basically, the accurate way to check max HR is with a HR monitor that records the highest and lowest pulses. I did mine on a treadmill where you keep gradually increasing the speed until you're at a full sprint. When your vision starts getting fuzzy, that's when you ease off and find out what you peaked at. There's people out there who can clock over 200 bpm and you might be one of them.

Comment

• So Clov, I was thinking percentages, and I do feel that there is a training zone over 80% and I went back to look it up. From one of my old bicycle training programs, there's 5 zones of heart rate as follows:

Zone 1: 60-65% Easy tempo, recovery training
                    Zone 2: 65-70% Endurance base training
                    Zone 3: 70-80% Aerobic capacity training
                    Zone 4: 80-85% Lactate threshold training
                    Zone 5: 86%+ Maximum aerobic training, increasing max VO2

Once you're in good cardio shape, most workouts will be in zone 2 with short intervals of zone 3-4. That's why I was remembering the 80% number. When we'd train for increasing VO2 max, we would do 3 minute intervals, alternating between zone 1 and zone 4-5. Those suck horribly, but whip you into shape quickly.

Comment

• In high school I would keep my heartrate above 180 for the entirety of my cario workout. When the resistance changed, I would just go faster to keep it up. Miserable to the point where I would just put my head down on the elliptical or treadmill and just keep going.

Now I can barely make myself get on for 10 minutes because I hate it so much...

Things have really changed lol
                      Originally posted by Daniel
                      Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
                      lmao

Comment

• Off to do interval training.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Any thoughts on subsituting a suat machine for the squat bar? I keep tweaking my lower back with the squat bar, but my buddy that power lifts say machines are bad.

They have the machine that has the pads on the shoulders and it mimics the squat motion pretty well, but it keeps you back flat. I am switching, so I don't break myself into two pieces. Want to know your thoughts.
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
                          I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

Comment

• They can be bad. It depends on the machine and foot placement. Most people try the machine and keep their feet under them, you need to move your feet forward so that you can go straight down and have your legs form a 90 degree angle at the bottom.
                            Me and my gun buddies aren't paranoid, but let me tell you about how Hillary's gun squads will come into your home to take away your God-given freedoms and guns, while forcing you to gay marry illegal immigrants and turn your home to Muslim abortion clinics.

That's how you sound.
                            lmao

Comment

• Originally posted by SwAg Dynasty View Post
                              They can be bad. It depends on the machine and foot placement. Most people try the machine and keep their feet under them, you need to move your feet forward so that you can go straight down and have your legs form a 90 degree angle at the bottom.
                              Still with the wide stance and toes a bit outward?
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Red-headed step-child
                              I suspect Gong is like an alien or barbarian who I look down on at first. Then I begin to suspect that he is actually a well-meaning guy who has much to teach us about life, until he puts his head through a glass ant farm.

Comment

• Doesn't matter as much because now it is impossible to lose control of the weight.

I like the contraction of narrower (like shoulder-width) on the machines with my feet well ahead of the bar.

That's how you sound.
                                lmao

Comment

Working...
                                X