Help with Extended Essay in Economics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Extended Essay in Economics

I need help deciding on a topic. I wanted to do something related to sports although it is pretty broad. I was thinking of narrowing my focus down to one team in the NFL or NBA (Jacksonville Jaguars and Orlando Magic are local teams within a 3 hours drive). I don't know what to focus on for the team economically. The maximum words the essay can be is 4000, but it should be over 3500 (recommended). Here are some guidelines/information from IB about the economics extended essay: http://production-app2.ibo.org/publi...t/4/chapter/10 .

I need help focusing on some aspect of a team. I can talk about other stuff that isn't related to economics, but the majority of my essay has to focus on economics. I chose economics because I'm interested in it. People can toss out ideas and I can form my question. Also, what reputable sources would I be able to use and would I be able to find a decent amount of data to analyze? Thanks in advance.

How about why are the Jaguars broke as hell and incapable of selling tickets?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_School
      sigpic

I may live in Florida, but I bleed Chicago navy & orange

Comment

I would write about the relationship between visiting teams and ticket sales for the Magic. Some sort of accurate attendance record should be easily accessible, and there is probably a nice correlation between visiting team record/star power and home attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
          I would write about the relationship between visiting teams and ticket sales for the Magic. Some sort of accurate attendance record should be easily accessible, and there is probably a nice correlation between visiting team record/star power and home attendance.
          It would take a hella lot of BSing to make that ish 4k words

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
            Pshaw.

Comment

Originally posted by rofldogs View Post
              it would take a hella lot of bsing to make that ish 4k words
              tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow tebow

Comment

I don't understand your assignment, you say you chose economics and you chose a sports team? what guidelines were you given?

Comment

I had 2 1200 word economics essays, due yesterday. Still not done. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddyPatriot View Post
                    I don't understand your assignment, you say you chose economics and you chose a sports team? what guidelines were you given?
                    The link I provided has some guidelines. I can pick any topic, but have to look at it in an economic aspect. I would prefer to cchose a topic related to sports since that's something I'm interested in. I picked those two teams since they're local so getting data might be easier.
                    Last edited by Phatal; 02-01-2012, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                      I have to discuss economic theories also, not just analyze data so getting 3500-4000 words on this topic shouldn't be too difficult. My problem is IBO doesn't like internet sources and a majority of my data would come from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Phatal View Post
                        The link I provided has some guidelines. I can pick any topic, but have to look at it in an economic aspect. I would prefer to cchose a topic related to sports since that's something I'm interested in. I picked those two teams since they're local so getting data might be easier.
                        Well if you don't mind pie in the sky stuff:

How about analysing whether success on the field translates to commercial success? analyse attendance figures and maybe financial details if you can get them compared to the team's record over the period, include the most successful club in the league in terms of wins and in terms of finance. Bring it back to talking about the utility fans gain from watching their teams win

"An investigation of the utility of winning for teams and fans"

Comment

Originally posted by PaddyPatriot View Post
                          Well if you don't mind pie in the sky stuff:

How about analysing whether success on the field translates to commercial success? analyse attendance figures and maybe financial details if you can get them compared to the team's record over the period, include the most successful club in the league in terms of wins and in terms of finance. Bring it back to talking about the utility fans gain from watching their teams win

"An investigation of the utility of winning for teams and fans"
                          That would be way more than 4000 words and I would have to look at data from more than 3 years ago possibly. I interpreted the guidelines as nothing can be from more than 3 years ago.

Comment

Try see if any of the topics on the NFL.com website in the video section labelled Football Freakonomics are any good. I remember watching a few of them and thinking they were really good.

Also after looking at the link I'm thinking this is far harder than anything I ever did in Economics and I did about 4-5 college courses on the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by mdb17 View Post
                              Try see if any of the topics on the NFL.com website in the video section labelled Football Freakonomics are any good. I remember watching a few of them and thinking they were really good.

Also after looking at the link I'm thinking this is far harder than anything I ever did in Economics and I did about 4-5 college courses on the topic.
                              It isn't for an economics class. I just chose the economics category since I'm interested in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X