I need help ... want to buy a new laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help ... want to buy a new laptop

Put laptop suggestions/knowledge here for buying a new laptop. I am in a $900-$1500 range. What are the best brands I should be looking at? What do all the specs on processors and **** mean?

I really appreciate the help. I don't need a laptop to play games on or burn CDs/DVDs. Just basic internet use, use microsoft office, etc. Normal ****. I know it sounds boring but I've never been that happy with the laptop I currently have. I wish it was faster.

So basically what I am looking for the most is speed. What should I be looking at specs wise for speed?

I'm a computer n00b so I really appreciate the help. Thanks.
    2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

First tip is, don't buy from Lenovo. I have had two Lenovo laptops fail on me (one had a defective battery, the other a defective hard drive) within one year of purchase. It's easy to get suckered into buying a bunch of **** you don't need. You can stick with integrated graphics if you're not doing much photo editing (I already know you're not gaming). You should probably be fine with a 100-200 GB hard drive. All you need for an optical drive is CD reading and DVD reading, which you can find in almost any optical drive now. You don't need LightScribe or Blu-Ray or Super Blu or HD-DVD. If you're a noob, you may want to check online regarding technical support, since you will probably have to use it at least a couple of times.

Comment

I would back a Lenovo computer and say that they are reliable. One solution might actually be the Lenovo 3000. It has a Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz and 160HD with DVD. HP has multiple opnes that would fit great for you and as always you have Dell. If you want to save some cash you have Acer which is a good computer at cheaper cost because they don't advertise. Between that price range you basically have 1000s of options, of everything besides Apple
      Check out my new site Today!
      Live 4 The Story

Comment

Thaks guys, what other options brand wise do you suggest/not suggest?

@Adam, why don't you like Apples? It depends on the person I just want your opinion. Thanks.

I don't want a dell because I have an Inspiron 700m now and I need a new laptop because I think the dell models suck because when I try to keep it charged this is the second time I need the side panel/motherboard adjusted (last fixed in july/august...ridiculous problem). I just don't think I should support a company when my laptop can't function/breaks.

Comment

Honestly, I can't give you other brands. Of the 3 computer brands that have been good to me, 2 are defunct and the other is a boutique (high-end) vendor.

Comment

The reason Adam's not suggesting an apple is b/c apples are very pricey.

Comment

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 its awesome. I bought it after I graduated college in May and its been great since. Knock on wood. Got a sick coupon on it it. Spend at least $1500 save $500 coupon. It was awesome. Go to www.couponmountain.com and get a good deal on whatever computer you want.
              WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
              Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by 49ersfan View Post
                The reason Adam's not suggesting an apple is b/c apples are very pricey.
                I don't agree with this for a start. 2ndly though, let's take the situation to cars. If you could by a either of 2 cars, same specifications, however the build quality was way better on one, how much more would you be willing to pay?

Laptops get moved around, bumped, all sorts of things. My 3 year old powerbook is still humming fine.

Matt, unless you have any windows specific apps, just buy an apple, get the 3 year warranty and enjoy the superior build quality, and the battery life at the top of the class. Plus, no need to worry about viruses, spyware etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyp View Post
                  I don't agree with this for a start. 2ndly though, let's take the situation to cars. If you could by a either of 2 cars, same specifications, however the build quality was way better on one, how much more would you be willing to pay?

Laptops get moved around, bumped, all sorts of things. My 3 year old powerbook is still humming fine.

Matt, unless you have any windows specific apps, just buy an apple, get the 3 year warranty and enjoy the superior build quality, and the battery life at the top of the class. Plus, no need to worry about viruses, spyware etc.
                  Why don't I have to worry about viruses/spyware on an apple?

Comment

Also jimmy what do you mean by windows specific apps? All I really use is Xcell, Word, and notebook (to write txts for the site). Are those "windows specific apps"?

Comment

Here is the computer I have now (below in link to CNet reviews, which is a site i highly recommend). I got it because luckily my HS personal tennis coach somehow had these lying around and it only cost me $800 or so. They retailed at the time for like $1300-1500 and since I needed it for college to take to class I loved how small it is.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell...-30975241.html

If I had to write a short review it would go like this:

Pros: Small/light, vibrant screen
                      Cons: Screen/keyboard/laptop dirty easily (or is that just all laptops), sometimes I can't get internet access from my own modem in my apartment (but it might be the shi.tty company with not enough bandwith ... hey it is free internet what should I expect?), battery life sucks, sometims when I type it messes up and the cursor click somewhere else due to sensitive touch pad, small keyboard that I **** up on a lot (cuz it is small), Customer Support (Thai-English is not a good dialect to have...EVER...imagine listening to a Thailand version of Todd McFraud...Ill have nightmares tonight thinking about that), and generally is slow imo when I'm flipping to word/excell/IE (maybe it is IE's fault...plan to switch to Mozilla Firefox 2 this weekend).

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                        Here is the computer I have now (below in link to CNet reviews, which is a site i highly recommend). I got it because luckily my HS personal tennis coach somehow had these lying around and it only cost me $800 or so. They retailed at the time for like $1300-1500 and since I needed it for college to take to class I loved how small it is.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell...-30975241.html

If I had to write a short review it would go like this:

Pros: Small/light, vibrant screen
                        Cons: Screen/keyboard/laptop dirty easily (or is that just all laptops), sometimes I can't get internet access from my own modem in my apartment (but it might be the shi.tty company with not enough bandwith ... hey it is free internet what should I expect?), battery life sucks, sometims when I type it messes up and the cursor click somewhere else due to sensitive touch pad, small keyboard that I **** up on a lot (cuz it is small), Customer Support (Thai-English is not a good dialect to have...EVER...imagine listening to a Thailand version of Todd McFraud...Ill have nightmares tonight thinking about that), and generally is slow imo when I'm flipping to word/excell/IE (maybe it is IE's fault...plan to switch to Mozilla Firefox 2 this weekend).
                        If you don't clean your laptop every once in a while it will get dirty esp if you eat or drink while using it.

Internet access problems from your modem could be the modems fault or crappy internet would be my guess.

Battery life could be a *****. Upgrade it on your next one. That's what I did this thing has great battery life now when unplugged.

Sensitive touch pad can be adjusted through you computer options (I forget where that menu is)

Buy a laptop with a bigger keyboard, lesson learned.

Agreed Dell's Technical Support sucks but c'mon who doesn't outsource tech support?

Flipping between IE and other programs sounds like crappy memory. Upgrade your memory you'll be happy. I got a Dual Core Processor I love it so much. You can do multiple things at once and it doesn't slow down nearly as much or at all compared to what it used to with an older processor.
                        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I'm really looking forward to my next blog because I'm giving shoutouts to you guys for helping me out with my next laptop purchase which I will make tomorrow (since the coupon expires on 3/8).

The HP dv2700t SE Verve (looks really sweet too) is the favorite in this laptop race. With all of the upgrades I am going to have on it (including Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T8300 [2.40 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB], 3GB DDR2 System Memory, 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery, Norton 24 month subscription, & 2-year HP Accidental Damage Protection with Pick Up and Return.

I'm not sure if the price is going to be $1250 or $1450 because I'm not sure if the coupon from CouponMountain.com is going to be added onto the $210 instant online rebate. I'm not worried though I'll pay the extra 200 if I have to. Bottom line, I feel like I am going to get one hell of a ****ing computer.

The other one I am considering is the ThinkPad T61 with a 160GB 7200RPM and 3 year onsite damage protection/cust service for only $1233. I am getting a much faster hard drive (1800rpm difference) and 1 year of more damage protection/cust service.

Here are what they look like:
                          ThinkPad T61

HP dv2700T Special Edition Verve

(top view)

So what do you guys think? Which one should I go with (prices aside)????

Comment

Siena, on Lenovo's site they say their customer service is US based, but I think outside of the first 12 months it costs like $70 to have live phone support for one incident. That sucks not sure if it is worth it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                              Siena, on Lenovo's site they say their customer service is US based, but I think outside of the first 12 months it costs like $70 to have live phone support for one incident. That sucks not sure if it is worth it or not.
                              They are US based, but they do charge way too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X