Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About The 3-4 D and the 4-3 D

I dont really understand both Defenses can someone please explain

A 4-3 defense has two DTs and two DEs on the line of scrimmage. The DE's are normally pass rushers like a Dwight Freeny, and the three LBs don't need to be as athletic.

A 3-4 defense has one NT and two DEs on the line of scrimmage. The DE's are more gap control players like an Aaron Smith, and the four LB's are usually more athletic on the outside for pass rushing like a Shawn Merriman.

If there's anything else I could explain better let me know.

Comment

Advantages Of both and The Disadvantages

Comment

A 4-3 defense has an extra man on the line to control gaps, so they're usually better at stopping the run. Their LBs also play in tighter to provide more run support.

A 3-4 defense has their LBs sittings back more which helps in pass coverage. One of the reasons they have to be fast is so they can attack the gaps in the running game, but that usually isn't their strong point. The also have the ability to provide more exotic looks on defense and disguise blitz's.

Neither one is better really, it's just about what type of personnel you have.
        Last edited by Vbsiena; 06-15-2008, 07:05 PM. Reason: helped you out with an edit

Comment

But wouldnt the 4-3 be better because it helps stop the run and would apply pressure on the QB

Comment

Either one could work great. The Pats won 3 superbowls with a 3-4, but most teams in the NFL use a 4-3

Comment

I like the 3-4 better not just because the Jets run it I always loved it since Madden. It gives the opponent exotic looks and it's easier to disguise the blitzers than in the 4-3.

Plus, this could be argued, the LBs control the defensive tempo in the 3-4 while the DLine control the tempo in the 4-3.
              WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
              Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I'd still have to say the d-line controls the tempo because if the NT isn't double teamed on a play or the DEs don't control their gaps, the LBs will get blocked all day. It does set up the LBs to make all the plays though.

Comment

Id also like to point out in all my years studying draft theory, it is easier to draft for and build a 4-3 defense than a 3-4.
                  2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

I like Tampa 2

Comment

My favorite is the 46 Bear defense.

Comment

Originally posted by bulldog0123 View Post
                        I like Tampa 2
                        Shocker shocker. I bet you didn't know the T2 originiated in Pittsburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                          A 4-3 defense has an extra man on the line to control gaps, so they're usually better at stopping the run. Their LBs also play in tighter to provide more run support.

A 3-4 defense has their LBs sittings back more which helps in pass coverage. One of the reasons they have to be fast is so they can attack the gaps in the running game, but that usually isn't their strong point. The also have the ability to provide more exotic looks on defense and disguise blitz's.

Neither one is better really, it's just about what type of personnel you have.
                          You've got those two mixed up. 3-4 is better at run-stopping, 4-3 is better against pass.

Comment

Originally posted by PuppyPuncher View Post
                            You've got those two mixed up. 3-4 is better at run-stopping, 4-3 is better against pass.
                            I think it depends on the personell more than anything.

San Diego's defense is the best vs. the run because they have outstanding DL that fit the scheme.

Miami on the other hand is garbage vs. the run because they have horrible personell.

Tampa generally has a great pass rush because of the personell. Ruud is great dropping into coverage, Kiffin loves speed on his DL.

Minnesota on the other hand had the #1 run D in the NFL, and the #32 pass defense.

Comment

It's much easier to stop the run with another lineman in gap control.

Comment

Working...
                              X