Album of the day thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Album of the day thread

I'm a huge music fan (and a singer/songwriter, though I'm not posting links just yet) so I'm going to have a little fun and post albums of the day.

Album of the day: Led Zeppelin III

I love the mighty Zep, and this is one of their most underrated albums. Released between the hard-rock defining Led Zeppelin II and the epochal Untitled (sometimes referred to as Led Zeppelin IV, Zoso or "the one with 'Stairway' on it"), Led Zeppelin III finds the band in transition. Aside from the opening "Immigrant Song", the album aims for low-key. There's the exotic-tinged "Friends", which utilizes alternate modes and a string orchestra to great success. There's the folk-stomp "Gallows Pole", which starts off quiet and builds up, adding in more guitars, mandolins and percussion until it's a hoedown. There's the easy-going ballad "Tangerine" and a weird-sounding ditty called "Hats off to (Roy) Harper" at the end. Some people hate it, but I always find it awesome.

What made Led Zeppelin so powerful wasn't Jimmy Page's guitar or Robert Plant's shreiks, but the powerful rhythm section made up of bassist John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham as drummer. They gave every song the propulsion and heaviness that makes Led Zeppelin's music great. Look at "Out on the Tiles" one of III's heavier albums as a prime example. A catchy guitar riff, but listen to how the bass doubling it gives it power. And listen to those drums... damn.

Zep were not just heavy though. There was music and texture behind their amps, and "That's The Way" is a lost gem that shows their exquisite beauty without distortion. Just acoustic guitar, mandolin and steel guitar to give the song a light flair of country.

And the blues epic "Since I've Been Loving You"? Awesome.

Any music collection that doesn't have this album along with the rest of Led Zeppelin's first six is worthless.
    This is my signature.

Led Zeppelin is awesome
    Brett Favre in 2 years...sigpic

Comment

I like Lez Zeppelin better.
      WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
      Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

who lol
        Brett Favre in 2 years...sigpic

Comment

Led Zeppelin I was better but all four of those first four albums kicked ass. Immigrant Song, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Since I've Been Loving You. So many good songs on III.

R.I.P. Sean Taylor 1983-2007
          HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!

Comment

Led Zeppelin I is my favorite too. I'll probably do one on that one, but on a later date.

Today's album of the day is Meat Puppets II, by Meat Puppets.

The Meat Puppets, like many alternative acts of the early eighties, started out as a hardcore punk group, discovered its strengths, and evolved from there. Their first album, Meat Puppets, was a blistering punk album. Meat Puppets II, released a year later, is completely different.

Meat Puppets II begins with "Split Myself in Two". The song has breakneck speed, but aggressiveness is replaced with texture and a laid-back slacker vibe that reminds me of Pavement. Curt Kirkwood's singing is always relaxed- he rarely attempts to sing in tune.

What makes this album great is Curt's guitarwork. There are tinges of country, bluegrass and psychedelia. Curt uses finger-picking and effects like reverb and delay in a way that's both creative and natural.

There are quiet ballads like "Oh Me", charming instrumentals like "Magic Toy Missing" and "Aurora Borealis", sloppy country ditties like "Lost", and the moody classics "Plateau" and "Lake of Fire".

Notably, in their classic "Unplugged in New York" concert and album, Nirvana covered three songs from this album: "Plateau", "Oh Me" and "Lake of Fire". Curt and Cris Kirkwood actually made a guest appearance for these performances.
            This is my signature.

Comment

I'm so sick of Zeppelin. They're like a pizza with pepperoni on it, ya it's great, but do you seriously have to get it every time?

Zeppelin is a great band, but so many people treat them as the only good music out there, that it was completely turned me off to them.

Comment

aw, come on. You can't let THAT stop you from enjoying the Led Zep.

I'm going to talk about a lot of bands, not just Led Zep.
                This is my signature.

Comment

Never been a fan of Led Zepplin.

Comment

Originally posted by supremeworldemperor View Post
                    Led Zeppelin I is my favorite too. I'll probably do one on that one, but on a later date.

Today's album of the day is Meat Puppets II, by Meat Puppets.

The Meat Puppets, like many alternative acts of the early eighties, started out as a hardcore punk group, discovered its strengths, and evolved from there. Their first album, Meat Puppets, was a blistering punk album. Meat Puppets II, released a year later, is completely different.

Meat Puppets II begins with "Split Myself in Two". The song has breakneck speed, but aggressiveness is replaced with texture and a laid-back slacker vibe that reminds me of Pavement. Curt Kirkwood's singing is always relaxed- he rarely attempts to sing in tune.

What makes this album great is Curt's guitarwork. There are tinges of country, bluegrass and psychedelia. Curt uses finger-picking and effects like reverb and delay in a way that's both creative and natural.

There are quiet ballads like "Oh Me", charming instrumentals like "Magic Toy Missing" and "Aurora Borealis", sloppy country ditties like "Lost", and the moody classics "Plateau" and "Lake of Fire".

Notably, in their classic "Unplugged in New York" concert and album, Nirvana covered three songs from this album: "Plateau", "Oh Me" and "Lake of Fire". Curt and Cris Kirkwood actually made a guest appearance for these performances.
                    Great songs.
                    Where do bad folks go when they die

Comment

Album of the year: 3 Doors Down

closely followed by Disturbed: Indestructible.

Comment

Originally posted by NoNonsenseCoach View Post
                        I'm so sick of Zeppelin. They're like a pizza with pepperoni on it, ya it's great, but do you seriously have to get it every time?

Zeppelin is a great band, but so many people treat them as the only good music out there, that it was completely turned me off to them.
                        ^Completely agreed. I probably would've liked Led Zeppelin more if they weren't regarded as some sort of musical Jesus.

Comment

Working...
                        X