Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cutty View Post
    I'm rooting for them too.

On a fantasy note, who's the real Adam Jones, the one from '10 or '08? What do you expect from Matusz?

If Adam Jones stays healthy, I'd fully expect him to be closer to his '08 form rather than his '10 form, especially in that lineup. In regards to Matusz, I'm not crazy about him THIS YEAR. Everybody is expecting him to make a jump this year in only his 2nd year in the leagues. I know he has the stuff, but he saw a major increase in innings last season and historically pitchers tend to struggle the year after making a serious jump in innings pitched. He won't be bad, but he won't get to where people expect him to I think. It'll take another year before he takes off.

In an unrelated topic to the one above, Yankees phenom catching prospect threw out 2 base runners yesterday in a spring training game. The 1st one wasn't impressive because he threw out a catcher running on a 3-2 count to avoid a double play. However, he got his second throw down to 2nd in less than 2 seconds, which is the mark most catchers shoot for. He's apparently vastly improved on the defensive side of the plate in regards to catching and throwing than he was last year. The Yankees really need to figure out what to do with him. He has an elite bat and looks like he can be an above-average catcher defensively, which nobody thought he could be. They need to figure out if it will hinder his progress to only catch 2-3 times a week at the MLB level or if he's better served catching almost everyday down in AAA. If Rusell Martin really struggles behind the plate, don't be surprised if this guy is up in the bigs by May or June at the latest.

Comment

• On a fantasy note, who's the real Adam Jones, the one from '10 or '08? What do you expect from Matusz?
      They're roughly the same. Poor hitter that is teens in HR/SB. If he's on your team, you stink in the OF.

Unless you're in a league with K/9, I'd avoid Matusz. He's on a bad team and does not go far in his starts, also he'll probably be watched carefully not to throw too many pitches. So, the upside just isn't there yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbod10 View Post
        If Adam Jones stays healthy, I'd fully expect him to be closer to his '08 form rather than his '10 form, especially in that lineup. In regards to Matusz, I'm not crazy about him THIS YEAR. Everybody is expecting him to make a jump this year in only his 2nd year in the leagues. I know he has the stuff, but he saw a major increase in innings last season and historically pitchers tend to struggle the year after making a serious jump in innings pitched. He won't be bad, but he won't get to where people expect him to I think. It'll take another year before he takes off.

In an unrelated topic to the one above, Yankees phenom catching prospect threw out 2 base runners yesterday in a spring training game. The 1st one wasn't impressive because he threw out a catcher running on a 3-2 count to avoid a double play. However, he got his second throw down to 2nd in less than 2 seconds, which is the mark most catchers shoot for. He's apparently vastly improved on the defensive side of the plate in regards to catching and throwing than he was last year. The Yankees really need to figure out what to do with him. He has an elite bat and looks like he can be an above-average catcher defensively, which nobody thought he could be. They need to figure out if it will hinder his progress to only catch 2-3 times a week at the MLB level or if he's better served catching almost everyday down in AAA. If Rusell Martin really struggles behind the plate, don't be surprised if this guy is up in the bigs by May or June at the latest.
        Always nicer to root for home grown talent. Hopefully the Yankees don't trade away Mr. Jesus and watch him explode on another team.
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

• Originally posted by cutty View Post
          I'm rooting for them too.

On a fantasy note, who's the real Adam Jones, the one from '10 or '08? What do you expect from Matusz?
          AJ strikes out waaayyy too much and walks once in a blue moon, but I think he'll rebound from last year (when we had Miguel Tejada batting #2) I expect him to be be around .290/.330/470 with around 22-23 HRs with like 90 RBIs

And Matusz is a beast. In like the last 2 months, he had like a 2.4 ERA with like an 88 MPH fastball (it's usually around 92). He will have like 15-18 wins. 3.4ish ERA. 200 IP. 1.2ish WHIP

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• Originally posted by tbod10 View Post

He only threw like 17 more innings in 2010 than 2009

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
              He only threw like 17 more innings in 2010 than 2009
              I realize that as I go and look at his minor and major league stats combined. They're still depending on him to throw 200+ this year and that's a lot to ask of him. I'm expecting a season that doesn't quite meet expectations this year and then next year he makes the leap to a very good pitcher.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vbsiena View Post
                Always nicer to root for home grown talent. Hopefully the Yankees don't trade away Mr. Jesus and watch him explode on another team.

They wouldn't include him in the Cliff Lee deal last year, so unless the Mariners dangle King Felix in their direction, I'm pretty confident that Mr. Jesus is staying with the Yanks long term.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
                  AJ strikes out waaayyy too much and walks once in a blue moon, but I think he'll rebound from last year (when we had Miguel Tejada batting #2) I expect him to be be around .290/.330/470 with around 22-23 HRs with like 90 RBIs
                  With a guy like him, you're really looking for the doubles and triples, that's what made him so exciting when he broke out a few years ago

Comment

• The Yankee pitching prospects look really good too. They could make any deal if they really wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                    X