MLB Top 50 under 25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB Top 50 under 25

Top 50 players under 25 years old. I guess this list is kind of a mix b/w how good they are right now and how good they will be.

1. Steven Strasburg, SP, Nationals
    2. Jason Heyward, RF, Braves
    3. Justin Upton, RF, Diamondbacks
    4. Evan Longoria, 3B, Rays
    5. Felix Hernandez, SP, Mariners
    6. David Price, SP, Rays
    7. Carlos Gonzalez, LF, Rockies
    8. Buster Posey, C, Giants
    9. Mike Stanton, RF, Marlins
    10. Delmon Young, LF, Twins
    11. Andrew McCutchen, CF, Pirates
    12. Mat Latos, SP, Padres
    13. Yovani Gallardo, SP, Brewers
    14. Colby Rasmus, CF, Cardinals
    15. Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Pirates
    16. Clayton Kershaw, SP, Dodgers
    17. Brett Anderson, SP, A's
    18. Billy Butler, 1B, Royals
    19. Carlos Santana, C, Indians
    20. Tommy Hanson, SP, Braves
    21. Pablo Sandoval, 3B, Giants
    22. Phil Hughes, SP, Yankees
    23. Domonic Brown, RF, Phillies
    24. Trevor Cahill, SP, A's
    25. Daniel Bard, RP, Red Sox
    26. Johnny Cueto, SP, Reds
    27. Matt Wieters, C, Orioles
    28. Jay Bruce, RF, Reds
    29. Gordon Beckham, 2B, White Sox
    30. Neftali Feliz, RP, Rangers
    31. Brett Wallace, 1B, Astros
    32. Adam Jones, CF, Orioles
    33. Starlin Castro, SS, Cubs
    34. Elvis Andrus, SS, Rangers
    35. Jair Jurrjens, SP, Braves
    36. Brian Matusz, SP, Orioles
    37. Drew Storen, RP, Nationals
    38. Mike Leake, SP, Reds
    39. Jose Tabata, RP, Nationals
    40. Jaime Garcia, SP, Cardinals
    41. Ike Davis, 1B, Mets
    42. Asdrubal Cabrera, SS, Indians
    43. Austin Jackson, CF, Tigers
    44. Jordan Zimmermann, SP, Nationals
    45. Wade Davis, SP, Rays
    46. Justin Smoak, 1B, Mariners
    47. Jake Arrieta, SP, Orioles
    48. Tyler Colvin, LF, Cubs
    49. Alcides Escobar, SS, Brewers
    50. Dexter Fowler, CF, Rockies

I believe Mr. Matusz deserves to be on this list

It's unleash the dragon time yall

Comment

Originally posted by RoflDogs View Post
      I believe Mr. Matusz deserves to be on this list
      He's on there, #36. I think he deserves to be higher but he gets bashed too much. I think he'll break out next year, I love his variety of pitches

Comment

It's crazy that Delmon Young is still only 24. He was playing in the majors before a lot of the other guys on this list were even drafted. That said, I actually think Billy Butler should be higher on this list than Delmon. They're both line-drive hitting right handers but Butler is younger, has higher power potential, and will always have a better OBP than Delmon.

This is pretty much a career year from Delmon but he's only hitting .331 - .362 - .528 (I say "only" because his OBP is only .030 higher than his BA and his OPS is .899 - which isn't exceptional considering this is basically his ceiling). Butler is having a year that's completely in line with his expected trajectory (in other words, he hasn't broken out yet) but his line of .308 - .379 - .458 with an OPS of .836 is pretty comparable to Delmon's. Worse, but still comparable.

Also, both players are pretty bad defensively but at least Butler has shown steady improvement with his defensive ability since he came into the majors. He also benefits from playing a defensive position that doesn't require plus athleticism as much as good footwork, so his defense can be expected to get better and better as he gets older. Conversely, Delmon seems to actually have regressed and despite his very good outfield arm he's still one of the worst defensive outfielders in the game. Seriously, watching him track a fly ball is one of the most nerve-wracking experiences I go through as a Twins fan. Young relies on his above average athleticism to help him make up for his terrible outfield instincts and pursuit angles but as his athleticism diminshes over the next 5-10 years his fielding will steadily get worse and worse.

Also...I'm assuming this list is only for players who've broken into the majors?

Comment

Originally posted by cutty View Post
          He's on there, #36. I think he deserves to be higher but he gets bashed too much. I think he'll break out next year, I love his variety of pitches
          Lol, my bad :P

Matusz had trouble this year because of the lack of run support, and he just flat out got gassed after like 80 pitches are so. Most of his runs came in the back of his starts. However, when he is on, he is dominating

Look at the Tampa Bay game early this year, he had them looking foolish with his changeup. He also did that to Boston too

I hope Buck brings a better pitching coach than Kranitz (The young pitchers always look fantastic in the minors, then comes up, looks fantastic in the first few outings, then later, they are consistently putting out crappy starts, goes back to the minors, comes back to the majors, look fantastic, wash, rinse, repeat

I am looking for Zach Britton to join this list next year because I think he is the best out of the four of Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton.

Also, I'm hoping Wieters will start raking because all these other young catchers doing well is kind of bugging me (Santana and Posey)

Comment

beckham has finally turned the corner...the big thing I see is that he has never changed his approach this yr whether he was in an 0 for 25 streak or 15 for 25 streak...also that he is the #1 2B on this list is good as well, hes going to be a good player...and still only 22

also a big thing that happened last week was our 1st round pick in June's Amateur draft, Chris Sale, got promoted to the Majors...that is ****ing fast...in the minors(A+/AAA) he was electric w/ 2.61ERA/1.1WHIp and a ****ing unreal 16.5 k/9 ...in 10 IP he had 19k's, this guy could be the next future closer
            2010 WF.com PPR Champion
            2011 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
            2014 WF.com PPR Runner-Up
            2013 VF Fantasy League Champion

CMD II Champion [co-owner with simonds]
            CMD III NFC North Champion [co-owner with simonds]
            CMD V NFC North Champion

Comment

Simonds, actually Butler and Delmon are both 24. I guess my biggest reasoning for ranking Delmon so high is because this is who he was supposed to be, and there's a chance that he's a legitimate .320 hitter. As far as prospects go, outside of J Upton, Heyward, and Strasburg, I don't know if anyone was as highly rated as him.

Butler's gotta start turning those doubles into homers. He did it down the stretch last year but he's only on pace for 15 right now. I think he'll eventually be a 30 HR guy, but I also said the same thing about Markakis; some guys are just doubles hitters.

Comment

Simonds, actually Butler and Delmon are both 24. I guess my biggest reasoning for ranking Delmon so high is because this is who he was supposed to be, and there's a chance that he's a legitimate .320 hitter. As far as prospects go, outside of J Upton, Heyward, and Strasburg, I don't know if anyone was as highly rated as him.

Butler's gotta start turning those doubles into homers. He did it down the stretch last year but he's only on pace for 15 right now. I think he'll eventually be a 30 HR guy, but I also said the same thing about Markakis; some guys are just doubles hitters.
                If Markakis was on the Redsox, Yankees, Rays, and Phillies, he would probably be on the pace for 30+ HRs. He is pitched around hella alot because look at this situation

Men on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. Who would the pitcher rather face? Markakis or Ty Wigginton?

Like look at last night, he got a nice fastball from Dan Haren that was high middle, he drilled that pitch way back to like 400+ feet

Comment

It's minor I know, but Butler is 6 months younger. I mean, you're totally right that this could be the new, permanent Delmon. I would love that, having Mauer/Morneau/Delmon all batting .320+ in the middle of our lineup would be incredible. But like I said, Delmon's numbers from his "break out season" really don't set him that far apart from Butler's fairly run-of-the-mill season. As for the home runs, I think you should go with your instincts. 240 pound guys who make contact like Butler does will eventually start belting them out of the park.

Comment

If Markakis was on the Redsox, Yankees, Rays, and Phillies, he would probably be on the pace for 30+ HRs. He is pitched around hella alot because look at this situation
                    That's kind of a cop out though, there's plenty of players out there with 0 protection. I don't know that Markakis really strikes fear into pitchers like you think he does, at least not enough to dramatically affect his power numbers. 30+ is a hell of a stretch, especially considering he plays in a hitters park.

Originally posted by Simonds View Post
                    It's minor I know, but Butler is 6 months younger. I mean, you're totally right that this could be the new, permanent Delmon. I would love that, having Mauer/Morneau/Delmon all batting .320+ in the middle of our lineup would be incredible. But like I said, Delmon's numbers from his "break out season" really don't set him that far apart from Butler's fairly run-of-the-mill season. As for the home runs, I think you should go with your instincts. 240 pound guys who make contact like Butler does will eventually start belting them out of the park.
                    You're not wrong. I'm a big fan of Butler actually, it's just tough to rank the top 20 or so, even the top 30. What really sticks out to me is just how many guys you could legitimately project to an all-star level

Comment

Just curious: which is the better upton, BJ or Justin?

And those top 20ish are super sexy.

Michael Floyd > Justin Blackmon

Comment

Originally posted by Descendency View Post
                        Just curious: which is the better upton, BJ or Justin?

And those top 20ish are super sexy.
                        Justin by a fair amount imo

Comment

Yup. Justin has a Griffey-like swing, disgustingly smooth and fast

Comment

Btw. why do you list Cargo at LF?

Comment

Yup. Justin has a Griffey-like swing, disgustingly smooth and fast
                              This, plus Justin hasn't shown any of the attitude problems (yet) that B.J. has.

Comment

Working...
                              X