World Cup Hosts 2018 and 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Hosts 2018 and 2022

I'm a huge soccer (as you all call it) fan and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on where these World Cups are being hosted? Russia will host 2018 and Qatar got 2022 which USA big for.

In particular, the 2022 World Cup, did Americans want another World Cup and was there much media coverage of their bid?

I can't see how Qatar with 1.7 million people will be able to host the world cup...
    Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

yeah i'm not sure how they are gonna work it. Did you hear much of their plan? its very crazy. They are building 9 new stadiums which can be taken down piece by piece and sent to 3rd world countries when the World Cup is over. All of the facilities will be within 60km of each other too.

Comment

Originally posted by mdb17 View Post
        I'm a huge soccer (as you all call it) fan and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on where these World Cups are being hosted? Russia will host 2018 and Qatar got 2022 which USA big for.

In particular, the 2022 World Cup, did Americans want another World Cup and was there much media coverage of their bid?
        I'd say the split is probably 50% of the people wanted it and 50% don't care about soccer in any way.

I for one wanted it and am pretty upset that the tiny nation of Qatar received it.

Good luck with unprepared tourists dieing of heat, security issues, and size capacity. What a joke. Once again money talks
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

What stadiums was America proposing to use?

Comment

Atlanta Georgia Dome
            Baltimore M & T Bank Stadium
            Boston Gillette Stadium
            Dallas Cowboys Stadium
            Dallas Cotton Bowl
            Denver INVESCO Field
            Houston Reliant Stadium
            Indianapolis Lucas Oil Stadium
            Kansas City Arrowhead Stadium
            Los Angeles Rose Bowl
            Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
            Miami Land Shark Stadium
            Nashville LP Field
            New York/N.J. New Meadowlands Stadium
            Philadelphia Lincoln Financial Field
            Phoenix/Glendale University of Phoenix Stadium
            San Diego Qualcomm Stadium
            Seattle Qwest Field
            Seattle Husky Stadium
            Tampa Raymond James Stadium
            Washington, D.C. FedExField

Copy and pasted pretty much from the Bid website

Comment

If I was younger, I'd without a doubt be planning a trip to Russia for the 2018 World Cup. Absolutely insane clubs in the main cities.

Comment

Originally posted by tbod10 View Post
                If I was younger, I'd without a doubt be planning a trip to Russia for the 2018 World Cup. Absolutely insane clubs in the main cities.
                dam considering I'll be 30 (very scary thought) when it comes around I dunno if that will be going to the clubs.

btw that sig is hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by tbod10 View Post
                  I'm thinking about it but i would have liked Netherlands/Belgium - less violence and that. But then I'm hoping to get down to Brazil for the next one.

I'm wondering how Qatar is going to deal with the alcohol (it's a dry country) and it's also been pointed out to me that Qatar doesn't recognise Israel as a country so that'd be interesting if they qualified...

Oh and they're really homophobic and while football is still pretty homophobic too there are a few out players. John O'Shea for one (Irish midfielder/defender)

Comment

Originally posted by PaddyPatriot View Post
                    I'm thinking about it but i would have liked Netherlands/Belgium - less violence and that. But then I'm hoping to get down to Brazil for the next one.

I'm wondering how Qatar is going to deal with the alcohol (it's a dry country) and it's also been pointed out to me that Qatar doesn't recognise Israel as a country so that'd be interesting if they qualified...

Oh and they're really homophobic and while football is still pretty homophobic too there are a few out players. John O'Shea for one (Irish midfielder/defender)
                    From what I read it isnt a completely dry country but that it is banned in public but there are certain places where it is allowed. There will also be drinking areas in stadiums so that people can do it.

John O'Shea is gay?? what??

Comment

FIFA is set for a head-on confrontation with Europe's big clubs as it emerged the 2022 World Cup could be played in JANUARY.

With the Qatari summer guaranteeing temperatures of 50 degrees plus in the desert, proposals are already being floated that could see the tournament moved to the winter.
                      But in January, temperatures "dip" to a more modest average high of 22 degrees Celsius, dropping to 12 or 13 degrees C at night, with even the prospect of some modest rainfall, which would allow training to take place outdoors.

A FIFA source said: "We have always held our tournaments in the summer months before but we must think about what is best for the players."

And a move to a winter tournament in 2022 risks all-out war from the big clubs.

While Germany does have a long winter break, the rests in Spain and Italy are much shorter, while of course the Premier League plays throughout the whole winter.

Major leagues will be outraged at being disrupted for the World Cup, especially as FIFA would be likely to impose a minimum two-week preparation period for national sides ahead of the tournament.
                      This would cause chaos of all the major leagues!

Comment

From what I read it isnt a completely dry country but that it is banned in public but there are certain places where it is allowed. There will also be drinking areas in stadiums so that people can do it.

John O'Shea is gay?? what??
                        Well there's only one company that can import alcohol, and the only alcohol available now is in very high end bars and hotels. There will be special drinking zones for fans but that'll be just another excuse for bars to overcharge.

I was pretty sure but Wikipedia tells me he just got married and that it was actually just a rumour. Sorry for the misinformation

Comment

This would cause chaos of all the major leagues!
                          That is utterly mental. I wouldn't like it for the tournament either. Surely they should have considered this when deciding to give it to Qatar?

There's no way they can just interrupt multi million £ generating industries for their own.
                          The players are paid by clubs, with a comparatively small amount earned by playing in the World Cup i don't see how FIFA could demand anything

Comment

Qatar is just a horrible choice. But I'd still watch.
                            http://bloochat.com/walterfootball <------------- WF.CHAT HERE

Comment

Well there's only one company that can import alcohol, and the only alcohol available now is in very high end bars and hotels. There will be special drinking zones for fans but that'll be just another excuse for bars to overcharge.

I was pretty sure but Wikipedia tells me he just got married and that it was actually just a rumour. Sorry for the misinformation
                              Yeah prices will be insane. I doubt that too many people will travel there from Europe anyway.

haha no worries. I was just a bit shocked I've never heard about it considering I'm also a United fan

That is utterly mental. I wouldn't like it for the tournament either. Surely they should have considered this when deciding to give it to Qatar?

There's no way they can just interrupt multi million £ generating industries for their own.
                              The players are paid by clubs, with a comparatively small amount earned by playing in the World Cup i don't see how FIFA could demand anything
                              Yeah it would kill the World Cup to have only two weeks preparation time before it. It would lead to more negativity than in a normal world cup. On the leagues , it would mean that clubs with players that go very deep into the tournament would be burnt out when they get home and it will ruin the rest of their season. The clubs will definitely fight this if FIFA are serious about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X