No announcement yet.

Davidson: A lesson to be learned for college football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the end of the Davidson - Kansas game last night and I have a question. I really don't follow the game of basketball so much so I may be wrong here but anyway:

Firstly: Why do they each time have 3 gazillion time outs? Do they really need all of them?

Secondly: Why did Davidson call a time out with 16.8 seconds left? Shouldn't they know what to do at that point? Don't they practice at play or combinations good to use with 10 seconds left and trailing by two? The only thing that time out did was that it allowed Kansas to, without any rush, put a proverbial double team on Curry. And when Curry handed the ball off, shouldn't he have tried to reach the guy who had eleven points and three three-pointers in the second half and obviously was on a streak?

Just wondering...
    Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

i made an NCAAF bracket and sent it to walters email...i wasnt sure how to post it on the site. it has 16 teams...at least one team from each conference....conference teams are ranked first and the 4 extra teams are ranked last

Comment

/rant

Matt I'm convinced you're a football purist. You just want to skip the BS of the tournament games and want the best of the best to play to determine the national championship. Nothing wrong with that from a purist point of view. The problem lies with the people who are not purists in NCAAF or NCAAB like myself and many many others.

I going to speak for myself and probably many others in saying the regular seasons in those sports are only so interesting. Unless you are a hardcore fan those games can be kinda boring. But when its playoff time aka tournament time then the casual fan like myself gets interested. (On a sidenote I'm trying to get into college football, I really am, but inferior talent to the pros excluding the pro prospects is boring for me to watch)

For NCAAB, Brackets can be made and we can all pretend like we know what we are talking about even though we only watched a few games during the year. Then a 65 team tournament is an easier thing to hype up for ESPN and CBS, etc because it hits on more fans from different regions in the USA. Because they lead us to think that every team has a chance to be National Champion, which is true just not likely. Thus, generating more interest, more excitement, more ratings.

Yes when its all said and done the best teams almost always gets through the field and wins. It just takes longer than say a BCS. Where I suppose the regular season matters more than the NCAAB season, but like I said earlier, casual fans don't really care about the regular season. It's kinda like an orange. You wanna peel apart the outside layers to get to the juicy inside. Since the juicy inside is the best part you hope its big and you can maximize the awesomeness of it. Well the juicy inside is the tournament to determine a national champion and the BCS Bowl Championship. Where we have many 1 game elimination games to determine the National Champion or just 1 game to determine the champion. Which one sounds juicier?

/endrant
        WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
        Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Fender View Post
          I watched the end of the Davidson - Kansas game last night and I have a question. I really don't follow the game of basketball so much so I may be wrong here but anyway:

Firstly: Why do they each time have 3 gazillion time outs? Do they really need all of them?

Secondly: Why did Davidson call a time out with 16.8 seconds left? Shouldn't they know what to do at that point? Don't they practice at play or combinations good to use with 10 seconds left and trailing by two? The only thing that time out did was that it allowed Kansas to, without any rush, put a proverbial double team on Curry. And when Curry handed the ball off, shouldn't he have tried to reach the guy who had eleven points and three three-pointers in the second half and obviously was on a streak?

Just wondering...
          Leo,
          Each team gets, I think, 3 full time outs and 3 20 second time outs per half...I may be wrong. It seems like so many b/c they always save them for the end for these types of situations. It is good as it makes games exciting in the end.

In the Davidson case, They could have called a play using Curry as a decoy and had a better shot with someone else but did not. KS made the right call by triple teaming Curry. But calling the time out increases the drama but also shows what the coaches are thinking. Obviously, they didn't win the coaching battle so therefore they didn't win the game.

Comment

Casual fans dont' care about the regular season, siena? The regular season is so popular in college football I have to respectfully disagree.
            2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by animal52 View Post
              Leo,
              Each team gets, I think, 3 full time outs and 3 20 second time outs per half...I may be wrong. It seems like so many b/c they always save them for the end for these types of situations. It is good as it makes games exciting in the end.

In the Davidson case, They could have called a play using Curry as a decoy and had a better shot with someone else but did not. KS made the right call by triple teaming Curry. But calling the time out increases the drama but also shows what the coaches are thinking. Obviously, they didn't win the coaching battle so therefore they didn't win the game.
              Okay, thanks for making things clearer for me. I still think that in this case Davidson would have been better off not calling the time out. Because know they gave Kansas a chance to set up their defense properly.
              Forgive me I'm Swedish!

Comment

Working...
              X