Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Fantasy Football - coming to CBS

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...asy-game_N.htm

The burgeoning world of fantasy sports is about to cross a new line. CBSSports.com has announced plans to introduce a fantasy college football game for the upcoming season, a game that will use the names and statistics of current college players.

The NCAA, citing amateurism issues, has historically warned against such practices as a violation of the association's bylaws. Although such a notice has been sent by the association to CBS, a recent court case has been interpreted by some parties as allowing the use of college players, and the NCAA appears wary of pushing the issue with CBS ? at least at this time.

"We are in discussions with CBS to try to work (out) a solution that we would be comfortable with," NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said Wednesday.

Previous attempts at college fantasy games have used inexact terms such as "Florida QB" or "Ohio State RB," but now the names of Gators quarterback Tim Tebow and Buckeyes running back Chris Wells can be used.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused last month to hear a case brought by Major League Baseball against a fantasy sports corporation over the use of baseball players' names and statistics. The court's move in effect said that statistics and names already in the public domain are not owned by a league or athletic association.

"There's some debate as to whether the court decision applies to amateur athletes," Williams said. "The court didn't specifically say it did; some are interpreting it as it does. It remains to be seen."

If this works out, it'd be nice to get a league going.

Comment

Truthfully I don't think they should allow it. Plus fantasy football is such a big business this might actually take away from the NFL but hey you know I'm a fantasy nut I'd probably be in 3 or 4 leagues
      Check out my new site Today!
      Live 4 The Story

Comment

I can understand that.

But if they do, I'm with yah on that.

Comment

Just joined my first college fantasy football league ever

Comment

Sweet. We should defintely get a WF league started.

Comment

yeah we need to get a league going.

Comment

I'm down for joining a league
                WalterFootball.com Forum Moderator

Siena NFL ATS Record(TBD)
                Down LOSING Units Through Week 16

Comment

I wonder if after this, you will be able to put college football player's names in video games.
                  2014-2015 Kentucky Wildcats (38-1)

Congrats to Wisconsin. Even more congrats to UK haters.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt McGuire View Post
                    I wonder if after this, you will be able to put college football player's names in video games.
                    U can download the names

Comment

I know you can download them, but it would be better if they released them in the game.

Comment

I'm up for some SEC Fantasy Football if anyone wants to join. We can do a 6 team league.

Comment

Yeah I'll join.

Comment

Why just SEC? Why not all the major conferences?

Comment

Because all major conferences you get those bull**** run n shoot offenses and really bad conferences that pad stats and it is gimmicky.

In the SEC it is a lot of tougher defenses and it is more balanced out. Only gimmick offense in the SEC is Florida.

Comment

Working...
                              X